Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mom's March Madness

So, Elizabeth is really little for her age --as in below 20th percentile for weight. She's a really active and happy kid, but takes little interest in finishing her bottle. So, this month I've decided to really buckle down and try to feed her more food so she gains more weight. Adding more solid food feedings and giving her her milk jug more often is my plan. I'd like her to nap more than an hour a day, but can't seem to get her to sleep long at all. It's like she has a caffeine high, without the caffeine. Any suggestions on how to make a baby gain weight would be great. She's not on cow milk yet, so I can't try that until later.
It appears that Elizabeth has chosen her "blankie." She seems to favor a thin, purple blanket with hearts on it and will dig through a pile of laundry to find it. She also refused to sleep without it a night or two ago, but the thing needs to be washed really bad. We'll see if she still cares for it once it is washed...Meanwhile, Elizabeth is trying to walk. She pushes her walker-stroller across the room all the time. She's also dancing to music. Such a talented girl!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Is the doctor worried? Because if you look up failure to thrive, they have to be below the 0% and actually loosing weight... so I wouldn't worry unless she's hungry. She can have hot cereal now though... in the morning they are hungriest... my kids have all been below 20% on weight until they reach a year. They really start packing on the pounds when we add Malt-o-Meal, etc... we usually mix in yogourt with it to make it yummier and have more nutrients. They can have yogourt at her age... once she reaches a year, whole milk will really plump her up.

The only thing I can say about sleeping is you just have to let her cry :( I know it sucks, but if she's tired... she needs to sleep! Do you do more than 1 nap? At her age, she should still do an AM and PM nap unless she's sleeping for more than 12 hours at night, then you'd be kinda out of luck.

As you can see, I could write a book on all these subjects! There are just so many variables though! :)

Good luck! :)

Laura and Tyrone said...

I try to have her nap twice a day, but that doesn't always happen. She'll be in her crib for hours and just talk to herself and get mad. She drops percentiles every doctor visit. People who don't know us think she's like six months and not almost a year.

rneweyfamily said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight thing. As long as she is alert and active which she seems to be, then she should be fine. All of my kids have been small, like 5-10 percentile. Once they were even below the line, but my dr. was never worried because they were healthy, just little. How much does she weigh? I know mine were always mistaken for being younger also. She will catch up as she gets older, just you wait. All of a sudden she will be so tall and you will wonder where you little baby went.

Ashley said...

I mix Corbin's cereal with Ayda's whole milk and he seems to do fine with it. I figured out that he was alright with cow's milk when I forgot to bring formula on a day trip & really didn't want to buy more formular when I had a ton of WIC cans hanging out at home. Every kid's different, but you never know.

Oh, and Ayda's "blankie" is the knit one you made for her, by the way. :) She loves it.