Saturday, August 15, 2009

Eureka!...?

I've been craving some pumpkin bread lately --need something "healthy and sweet." So today, I finally got to make some. I would have made it yesterday, but I only had two eggs and would be going to the store Saturday (today) to get some stuff anyway, so I waited. Well, I got everything mixed together and threw it all in the oven, quite excited for some pumpkin bread. However, during the one hour that it takes to bake, the house smelled different. I determined it was from the burned stuff at the bottom of the oven (probably rice from the casserole earlier this week). I also noticed that instead of filling out and rising into a nice dome-shaped curve, the bread was dipping inward and sagging. I have never had a problem making pumpkin bread before, so I figured that this new development was simply bad luck. We all can't be perfect chefs all the time, you know. Well, after the hour bake time was up and the bread came out of the oven, I discovered the actual problem with my pumpkin bread: in my haste to bake and eat it, I had forgotten to actually put pumpkin in the pumpkin bread. I know --what an idiot! Who does that? Who leaves out the main ingredient to which the recipe was named for? As Tyrone put it, "it's like leaving the chocolate chips out of the chocolate chip cookies." So, no pumpkin bread for me. Instead, I have sweet, cinnamony-nutmeggish bread that actually doesn't taste bad with a good amount of butter. It also actually makes for a good brick. The loaves came out hard and crunchy/chewy, and instead of bouncing off the cutting board and attempting to roll around like bread normally does when removed from its pan, the loaves fell with a hard, prominent thump --and did not move after that. What fun we have in the kitchen here!

2 comments:

Andelin said...

Stupid cravings! Hey--you have a good excuse, though, being pregnant and all. Sometimes I'm surprised I don't forget my own name! And lucky for my kids, none of them have been left in the car or at the store....yet...

This story reminds me of the time I was making oatmeal cookies (this was a really long time ago). I checked and double checked the recipe to make sure I had put everything in, but they still were coming out flat and took a chisel to get off the pan. After conferring with my sister, still confused, as I had followed the directions exactly, we realized the recipe didn't call for oatmeal! It was a ward cookbook, so somewhere along the line the oatmeal accidentally got left off the recipe. It was wierd.

Andrew and Lauren said...

You put a whole pumpkin in there? Not sure if I understood you. Anyway, I've had numerous baking mishaps, the more notorious of which is the Betty Crocker instant brownie mix. Not only does it have just 3 ingredients, but I've managed to ruin the recipe at least 5 different ways! I can do it now, but to this day my brothers still won't eat it without misgivings...